Friday, May 15, 2009

WORKING OUT AND WALKING ARE GREAT ECONOMIC RECOVERY SPORTS

I've heard that during times of change and challenge that people take to working out more. I was curious to see if there was any data to support this notion, and discovered that the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association had some very interesting findings.


Since a lot of the work I do has to do with mature workers, remember that is any one over the age of 40, (I know many of you may be freaking!) I have a high interest in that group. I learned that the most popular athletic activities among people 55+ are fishing and golf followed by fitness walking, treadmill exercise, stretching, and the use of hand weights.

Since people are watching their money, I love the fact that walking, stretching, and lifting weights are free or inexpensive, and in this economy, that sounds pretty good. In fact The Wall Street Journal had a great editorial by Cameron Stracher called RUNNING FOR LEAN TIMES.

I live in New York City, and have run in the MORE mini- marathon, but more importantly for me, I walk alot. The health benefits of walking are huge. Walkers are a lot healthier than their sedentary friends. Walking reduces the chances for cancer, heart disease, stroke and diabetes, and if these aren't good enough reasons to put on your sneakers or comfortable shoes I don't know what are! Yes it means that you have to rewire your mindset and view walking as fun and as a positive move, and not as drudgery!
And by the way, when you walk you will want to stretch before and after. And that means you've participated in two positive sports!! So go for it. And start out slowly; don't overdue and don't try to prove that you're a jock if you're not!

No comments: