Friday, March 20, 2009

LEARN TO PLAY TEXAS HOLD 'EM



During these challenging times I've decided to try new and different things that are fun, inexpensive, and getting me out of my comfort zone. And if I can learn a thing or two along the way, that's terrific so that's how I ended up at the YMHA, better known as the 92nd Street Y Tribeca http://www.92y.org/92YTribeca in New York City.

I wanted to learn to play poker. I'm from a card playing family in Michigan but have gotten rusty through the years. My goal was to learn the game, get a group of friends together once a month to play cards, to get caught up, do some networking, and do something that challenged the mind and was active, not passive! Basically I was Rewiring my fun time!


I took a lunch time class called- POKERDIVAS. Their motto is "If you want to be in the game, you have to be at the table." They have a great site: http://www.pokerdivas.com/.
In one class, with a highly talented "teacher," Ellen Leikind, I learned the basics and am ready to go! I met great women, from entrepreneurs and nurses to corporate executives and policy makers.


If you're in New York take the class, but also think about learning the game. From a career standpoint learning TEXAS HOLD'Em has several benefits beyond fun and learning to bluff well:

  • develop strategic skills

  • learn to read the competition

  • become more of a risk taker

All good skills for managing the work world regardless of your position! and it's a lot of fun!

No comments: