Thursday, February 12, 2009

DON'T COUNT THE "OLD DOGS" OUT!


I'm an animal lover. Animals are one of my passions, and in fact I would love to be a vet's assistant one day (maybe that will be a part of a future rewiring!) but for now I get my thrills from going to events such as the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. Watching the dogs compete is wonderful but going behind the scenes is the best. It's upfront and personal and being close to the dogs feeds my soul! And when Stump, the 10 year-year old Sussex spaniel, (that's 70 in human years!) who had just come out of retirement, won Best in Show in New York City Tuesday night, no one cheered louder than me!


It wasn't just for Stump that I was cheering but rather for all mature workers, both four and two footed! As Senior Advisor at The Conference Board on the Mature Workforce, my mission is to challenge organizations to continue to recognize the talent and productivity of experienced workers. It's crazy that in 1967, the Age Discrimination Employment Act, designated 40 as the age of the Mature Worker. Since we are living on average another 20 to 25 years after the age of 65, some things have got to change!


We all have to rewire our thinking and actions about the future! Stump is my new hero---right up there with US Airways pilot Sully Sullenberger! Let's hear it for mature workers!






No comments: