Thursday, July 16, 2009

Watching Three Generations Slug It Out on the Tennis Court

As Senior Advisor at The Conference Board much of my work focuses on generational challenges, or as I like to say, opportunties, especially those targeted to the mature worker--remember that is anyone over the age of 40! (as designated by the Age Discrimination Employment Act of 1967. ) So I was thrilled to be invited to attend the ADVANTA WORLD TEAM TENNIS PRO LEAGUE to see the stars of tomorrow, the top players of today, and the legends of the game competing hard and fast, together.

I loved watching all of the players and was blown away by John McEnroe (50) and Martina Navratilova (52). What really struck me is that yes, they are older players but it goes to show that you can stay in the game by sharing the court with new talent! And just look at this picture of Martina just completing a great serve!

These "older legends" are brilliant tennis players and winners of too many major titles to list here. McEnroe and Navratilova are fit, attractive and using all of their skills. I am always looking at the world through my rewiring lens and what I saw is two outstanding players who have realized that new and younger talent are in the pipeline, and rather than say " my days are over" these guys have gotten into a new game with this young talent.

Is it a type of mentoring? Knowledge transfer? Coaching? Call it what you will; I see a correlation with today's maturing workforce and workplace. Rather than focus on our generational differences let's all find a way to stay in the game, learn from and respect each other and win!

It's all about rewiring our mindsets!



No comments: