Tuesday, July 28, 2009

NEW INSIGHTS FROM OLD MATERIAL

I had lunch lunch yesterday with a retired 82 year old friend who happens to be a psychiatrist. We covered a lot of topics and I wasn't surprised to hear him say how stress was at the highest level he had ever seen. In fact he told me that old clients were calling him just to "check in."

I often say that the work I do is rather like therapy but without the couch so to that point today's blog is a list of practical things we can all think about in these evolving times.
People will often ask me "what can we do to get through this?"

I know that the "this" they refer to runs the gamut from work, family, financial, to emotional challenges, based on their circumstances so here is a list of thoughts and ideas that I have been compiling. MOST OF THESE IDEAS ARE NOT NEW! What makes them new for you-- is is you use them!


So as the world is looking to create The New Normal so should you be! So here goes...
1. If you will change, everything will change for you.

2. Spend time and money to do things that count.

3. Don’t spend too much time or money on things that don’t count.

4. Instead of getting through the day, think of what you get from the day.

5. There is no such thing as "perfect."


6. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Practice makes permanent.


7. Get yourself on some type of an activity or fitness plan.

8. Clean up your neglect--of your body, your spirit, your skills.

9. Spend money on the inside of your head if you need it.

10.Get out of your own way.
Short sentences can carry a lot of "punch."

No comments: