Tuesday, March 21, 2023


As many of our readers’ know I went to Michigan State University. While at MSU I joined the Tri Delta Sorority.  It was a defining moment in my development. I bonded with other women. We grew together. After graduation, I continued to be involved to help other Tri Delts and to network with those who had moved to NYC where I moved after graduation.  Tri Delta has been with me all along the way. Recently I was asked to be a guest on the Let’s Talk Tri Delta podcast about Don’t Retire, REWIRE! Insights on the future for people of all ages 

There is a lesson here for all of us. Sometimes we must look all the way back in our lives to find something that will give us fulfillment at this new life stage.  What activities, organizations or institutions were you involved with during the first twenty five years of your life? What did you love doing that you stopped doing because you joined the workforce, started a family, whatever the reason?  Looking back at those interests, or just taking the time to remember those interests, could lead to fun and fulfillment in your future! Then once you align those newly defined or rediscovered interests with your Drivers (as detailed in the pages of Don’t Retire, REWIRE!) then you’re really onto something! We’ve discovered that many of us need to look back at the good things loved and lost, to go forward!

 

John, one of our readers recently told us, “I loved history. I graduated college, took a job, got married, took on a mortgage, and somehow the things I thought I’d pursue got replaced. Don’t get me wrong, my life was great but I never had time for other things. Life just got in the way. When I retired, I didn’t know what to do with myself.  I started to look back at the things I had enjoyed.  History came back on the screen.  Now I am getting a master’s degree in American history. I am thoroughly enjoying myself. One day I want to teach an adult education course.”  My wife has been supportive, and I think enjoys it because I’m not in her space, and she sees I’m happy.” John’s Drivers included continuous learning and making a difference.

 

Another reader said that his grandfather had ignited in him an interest in the Civil War.  Now he is returning to it, not only reading about it, but watching films and documentaries, and taking trips to the historic sites of that period.  He joined the Civil War Roundtable and is considering starting a Civil War book club in his retirement community. His Drivers included continuous learning, but to also be a leader of sorts.

 

It’s a wonderful feeling when you discover that an old interest is new, again.

 

 

 

 

No comments: